If you want to survive the cold winters, I recommend:
- A good pair of water-proof boots with traction. For walking in to work (it's just 2.5 miles), I wear hiking boots and wool socks. Keep nicer shoes at work; I have a pair of slip-on flats that I can wear all over the office.
- long underwear. Layers are your friend. Even if you get to work and take off that layer, long underwear will certainly keep you warm. Which leads to....
- More layers. A long-sleeve T-shirt won't cut it. Sweater, T-shirt, undershirt, and then long underwear if it's super cold.
- And long underwear on the bottom, too.
- For walking, I wear a pair of snow pants. These keep snow from getting into my boots and making my poor feet cold.
- Ski mittens. If you bike in below-freezing temps, thinsulate-lined leather gloves won't cut it. Mittens=good.
- A good hat. Not just a knit hat, but I have one of those ridiculous bomber hats. When a 30+ mph wind cuts toward your face when the temperatures are below freezing, the fur is really nice.
- A scarf. I wear a lot of pashminas, since they feel good on my skin, are lightweight, and double for a wrap in drafty rooms.
- A balaclava, if you're biking. And maybe even if you aren't. Again, wind. Keep that skin from exposure!
- Ski goggles. I tried to bike in a pair of safety glasses, but they kept sliding off my nose. Ski goggles, combined with a balaclava, make a -10 degree day totally bearable.
And finally.... - A ski jacket. I have the same one I had in High School (15 years!), and it's got plenty of room for layers underneath.
No comments:
Post a Comment