Today was my first day off. How is it that it's only when I'm away from home that I manage to have a complete (er, almost--I still worked for an hour) day off? I slept in past my alarm, so I didn't make it to church with the methodists this morning. And I had planned to take the train into Stuttgart, but, well...the best intentions, you know.
So with a few hours of daylight, I strapped on my walking shoes (you know the pair--the sketchers I've had since undergrad) and took off. I walked along the river, among the vinyards, to Ludwigsburg. There are giant locks just above Marbach, a wonder to look at. It's a pity there weren't any ships out. I've enjoyed watching locks fill and empty ever since I studied in England and studied the English countryside.... There were also plenty of water fowl out. One poor bird kept flapping up the river ahead of me and resting until I came along again. Poor thing. Bird brain, really.Were he just a little smarter.
They have an old baroque city, and also a christmas market. For an hour so, I enjoyed the crowds of people, the smells of roasting nuts and Glühwein being served, and the stands and stands of crap. But it's European crap, so it's automatically classier, right? Right?
I do wonder who does indeed make purchases at such stands. Usually they just sell trinkets, little christmas ornaments or leather goods or carved figures from the Erzgebirge. What it seems most people go there for is the Stimmung, the atmosphere. And the drinks. Oh, the drinks!
No comments:
Post a Comment