Today I left work to go to the cobbler, where i picked up my old leather satchel. I've used it for the past 10 years or so, and it's carried me thourgh job interviews, intercontinental moves, and through work on my dissertation. You can imagine my sadness when, about two weeks ago, I picked it up and one of the straps broke.
Fortunately, I found a cobbler here in Lincoln who does leather repair. And for a mere $20, I hope to have another good ten years of wear.
As I biked home in the cold (yep, it's cold. I now wear a face mask/Balaclava to commute) I thought about how good it is to mend things and not simply throw them aside, and how wonderful it is to repair something enduring for a mere $20, rather than spending $50 every year or two on something badly made that doesn't warrent repairs. Rather than tossing a bag every few years, I can help employ a craftsman and own fewer things made in sweatshops.
No comments:
Post a Comment