Fall. It's one of the most glorious times of the year.
For a few short weeks, I can set out with just a sweater over my work clothes and arrive at school without making myself totally sweaty. The air is crisp, the leaves are starting to change, and the light has changed to a markedly colder cast.
Biking as my main form of commuting helps me feel that every day, especially now when I don't have the luxury of hour long runs or whole morning rides on my road bike. The very ability to get outside and enjoy myself while wearing 3 inch teaching heels (in the photo below) makes me (and my feet) happy.
I love the shapes that a bike and its shadow cast on the road
The other wondrous thing about biking is the sense of community it instills. There is one homeless man, who rides around in a neon safety vest, has long, grey, unkempt hair, and has a yellow-y, toothy smile. We say hi roughly 3-4 times a week, as our courses always seem to meet up (he bikes a mile-loop in Centennial Park in the opposite direction of my commute in). So imagine my pleasure at not only having him compliment my red dress, but the next time he saw me, mentioning that he "liked the red one better".
Could this exchange have happened if I had worn headphones? Sat in my car that morning?
Love this post, Elizabeth! And can I just say... 3 inch hells?! Sooo impressed right now. I am that person who just sits in my car and listens to NPR while I grumble at the other drivers.
ReplyDeletep.s. That red dress does look amazing! Mr. Long Hair has great taste.