Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dissertating the Dissertation

If I say/read it really quickly, it looks like I might desert my dissertation. Which, I'll admit, is tempting.

There's a certain problem I run into when I sit down to write my dissertation, one that involves me getting ever so slightly distracted. Now, I'll write two or three pages a day, but the amount of fiddle-faddling around is attrocious. Any new blog entries on my reader? Facebook posts? What is the headline on the Post? The Times? Any new blog entries in the last 2 minutes? Any more new Facebook posts? ... You get the idea.

So, rather than knocking out my two to three pages in an hour, it takes me three to four. Why can't I just focus, do my work, and then enjoy the rest of my day? Dunno. Something of the procrastinator lurks in my type-A personality that keeps me from being as productive as I can.

In a few weeks, I hope to have access to a program a friend of mine has developed, one which can either block out websites for a certain amount of time or allow access to only a few for a block of time. I'd say that I'd want to block out just a few, but I know that I'd just get more creative in my procrastination. Derg.

Still, I've written approximately 20 pages in the last 11 days. Will I meet my deadline of a chapter (40-60 pages) by the end of the month? I'm not sure, but I can hope....

No comments:

Post a Comment