Thursday, January 21, 2010

Somewhere, a Flannery O'Connor post was supposed to happen. Deep thoughts on a deep writer. Instead, I've come out with just a few observations, but I've also realized that I'll need to read her writing about writing as a Catholic very slowly--what I had hoped for as a lead with my dissertation looks like it will help.

But rather than write on that (and I shouldn't write too much about my dissertation publicly) or on what looks to be very encouraging with my work (a number of suspicions I've had are being confirmed by reading letters), I just want to make a few observations about the last of my break and the beginning of the dissertation which looms so scarily (and yet, suddenly, so manageably).

The snow in Virginia made it possible to go for long exhausting walks every day, which I loved doing. Being outside, hearing the muffled silence of the fresh snow, feeling alone in the woods... there is indeed something magical about new snow.

Sadly, the walking didn't continue when I got down to Charles City, as it was absolutely freezing. I wonder if it's related to the cold exposure I had had in Vermont, as my nose is especially susceptible to the cold (more so now after the first stages of frostbite), but it's not fun being cold. As a result, I didn't visit as many folks as I would have liked, and did a lot of baking. This includes making good on my New Year's resolution to bake bread more, although I've not done that since I got back to Nashville. Perhaps I'll fix that early next week....







I had dreaded returning to Nashville, as I'm not particularly happy here. Yet little things have surprised me, reminded me of the wonderful people I know here and with whom I live in fellowship. What's lonely is the stress and isolation that comes with working only. Balance, balance. How beautiful good friends, quality food, and evenings off are. Thinking is then possible; we were not made to live only a vita contempletiva, but also a vita activa. The two must both be possible like the ebb and flow of the tides, one receding and making room for the other. Did I mention that the vita activa included spelunking this past weekend?!

In addition to reading and teaching a fantastic class (I'm teaching other grad students! Grammar! Reading!), I'm also taking French, which is kicking my butt. 1.5 hours of French only, twice a week, plus reading. Intense, but great. I've not been so tired after just one class in years. Language acquisition will do that to you, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment