Now, I hate driving. Were there a train that went through Nashville, I would travel by train. Sadly, this is not the case. So, I exploited the fact that I have a new friend in Asheville, NC. I decided to drive through Gattlinberg and through the Smokies. I crossed the border between Tennessee and North Carolina just as the sun was going down, which was perfect timing--the border is on the top of the mountain, and on either side you can look out across the mountain range and see nothing but trees.
As I drove down the mountain, I reveled in the green and the hairpin turns. Driving through the gloamy, I made my way to Asheville, past motels and into the darkness.
I made it into Asheville about 2 hours late, and D. was kind about my lateness. And...she saw my bike, and said that I could not leave without going for a ride. While I didn't want to be late to the next place, I agreed--the very idea of riding up a mountain and on the Blue Ridge Parkway was just too attractive.
I arrived in Charles City late that night, to be greeted by friends who feel more like family. Church on Sunday was a homecoming, and I've been trying to get work done, even though I'd rather visit. Tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, I'll be going for a ride on the Colonial Parkway, which is a bit bumpy, but amazing. My friend J. will drop me in Jamestown, drive to Yorktown, and wait for me there so we can have breakfast on the riverfront.
No comments:
Post a Comment