So I've met someone. Steven, to be exact.
I know what you are thinking--I never blog about my personal life this extensively. But what you should know is that Steven is part beagle. Steven, you see, is my friend's (female) dog.
And she's adorable. Why the unfortunate human name? Well, she was named by kids.
So when I met her, I quickly re-christened her "Stevie". As in Stevie Nicks. And Stevie Wonder. Which is why her full name ought be Stevie Wonderful. And she's lovely, if a bit anxious because she was a stray and quite possibly formerly abused.
Oh, and smart. My friend Pam began teaching her how to sit last night (we got home from canoeing--a great adventure on its own, and one I hope to write about, after I perhaps get my hands on some pictures). Patiently, Pam had the dog sit after giving the command a few times. Really remarkable--I was surprised how quickly Pam had the dog obeying her. When Pam ran out of bread, Stevie nearly had it all figured out. That's about 5-10 rounds of giving the command "sit". And then it was my turn to continue working on her. Within a few rounds, she got it by the first time.
Joel's roommate picked that moment to come out of her room, and Joel proudly told her that Stevie could sit. "I don't believe it," responded the roommate. Roommate looks at Stevie, says, "sit", and pauses.
Stevie?
She sits.
What a dog!
Part beagle! Who could go wrong with a pup like that! They are easily motivated (and trained) by food!
ReplyDelete