Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mertle the Turtle

Behold the turtle shirt.



I know, I know. How many more turtle posts can there be?

Hopefully this will be it until the next triathlon season. But until then, I leave you with something glorious.

While training in Virginia, I wrote the posts about my fear of turtles. Friend Pam, keeping up to speed with my adventures, caught wind of the Maryland links, and, with Friend Joel (do the "Friend" titles not make them sound like Quakers? I like it!) arranged to make me the singlet. Difficulties of changing the Maryland "M" into a "W", getting it to scale, and ironing it onto T-Shirts...I suppose I should have one of them guest post on that. What I can say is that I suspected a T-Shirt to appear (in a conversation about, I believe, how to best embarrass me, a T-shirt was mentioned), I did not suspect nearly this amount of involvement. I thought puff paints. Glitter paints. Maybe even some horrendous patches. But my very own "Fear the Turtle" tank?

So of course I raced in it. And of course the cotton got sopping wet (thanks, water stands and 90 degree heat). Was the extra weight of a wet shirt worth the hassle on race day?

Oh, yes.

I could proclaim to the hard core triathlon racing world, with its fancy helmets and amazing racing outfits that leave nothing to the imagination, that I fear the turtle.

And hey, if that turtle has a "W" on it, they should, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment