Saturday, May 12, 2012

Carlessness

It quite nearly looks like "carelessness", but it's a different state of being that I'm trying out for the next month or so: my young man is out of town (he drove to Tennessee) for work, and so I'm here in the mid-west, making due with just my two legs and my bike.

For some, this might be a big deal. But I realize that I drive just once or twice a week--to go on a larger grocery shopping trip, or to bring the laundry to the laundromat, or to take out the recycling. Before my young man left town, we went for a larger shop to Trader Joe's, where we picked up all sorts of frozen food (while I finish the dissertation, I'm trying to eat well while not cooking so very much) and a few bottles of wine (to supplement all the yummy cucumber-vodka sodas I'm enjoying in the down hours). I did five loads of laundry, and I should be ok for the time being (we'll see if I wind up using the landlord's machine a time or two; with it just being me, the loads of laundry are far, far smaller), and we got rid of most of the recycling.

Today I made two bike trips, and I'll probably make a third before the end of the day. This morning, I went to the downtown farmer's market, where I bought my next bar of soap (amazing, goat's milk soap with lavender and oats--P.C., they also have honey goat's milk soap, would you want a few bars?) and spinach to make a salad to go with tonight's onion tart. While I love the farmer's market, especially the fact that it's just 2.5 miles away, I much prefer the one Sunday mornings: more farmers, including their locally raised meat, and far fewer people. It's around a 5 mile ride, so totally doable, but it takes a bit more coordination.

Later today, while taking a break from the dissertation, I went back downtown to go to the library. Thanks to a bike lane downtown (the same one I use to take to work), I can make it down in pretty good time and fairly comfortably. After picking up a few books and dvds (best deal ever: I don't have to pay an arm and a leg to see the new "Marilyn" or "Benjamin Button", which I still haven't seen), I could ride home again. Easy peasy.

Other than a few stops by the recycling center on my way to work, I don't anticipate my days changing so very much from their regular patterns. We'll see how strawberry picking goes a week from now--I might ride, or see if friends will drive down and with me.

While I'd love to go carless long term (how much money we'd save on gas and insurance!), we're already doing pretty well considering. We only fill up every one or two months (except for the odd trip to Tennessee) and bike most everywhere we can. Being a one-car household has been really comfortable; just a handful of times have we had to coordinate our days so that young man could get supplies for the studio and I could run other errands. But, mostly, it works seamlessly.

Now, back to work on this dissertation thing/beast/Satan. With a timeline (and a finish line!) in sight, I need to buckle down now so I can enjoy the rest of my summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment