Sunday, April 8, 2012

Resurrections and Incarnations

The slow plodding of work on the dissertation continues. I'm now in the Endspurt, trying to make edits before the chapters go back to my advisor. While so much has been done (the whole thing's written! It looks like it's fairly cohesive!), I see how much is left to go. The little things, the minutiae that bring a project from a decent draft to a manuscript--those I haven't begun. Rereading it to try and catch repetitions? Proofreading? I know that these will add up, and trying to get them done a little at a time, after work and on the weekends. I don't look forward to the next month or so.

In addition to working on the dissertation, I have edits due on an article. I have three weeks to turn the article around. All of the edits are extremely helpful, and having an expert read my work and point out how the article can be strengthened and how I can make a better argument--these comments are gold. Every now and again, I see the edits to my English prose and I want to object. Yes, I know that "that" is for a restrictive clauses and "which" for nonrestrictive. But I prefer the British approach--"which" just sounds better to my ears, no matter if the clause is restrictive or not. Still, these are minuscule compared with the insight that the edits to the article give me, and how they prepare me for tackling the edits to my final chapter. Then the chapters are off for feedback, and I'll hopefully be able to get this dissertation done and out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment