Years ago, someone told me this story:
http://www.frtommylane.com/homilies/years_abc/second_sunday_after_christmas-2.htm
It came to mind* when, recently, I visited a good friend who is going through a rough patch. "Rough patch"--you know, what we call any point in our lives (which we all have) when any number of things isn't working out right, or we're blue, or we're struggling to get on the right path.
As we sat and talked, I realized how much I could identify with her. And the funny thing is, seeing someone else struggle the way I have/do, I realized that before me sat the very reason why struggling (I want to use suffer, but that seems to extreme; I'll reserve that for the mystics and the martyrs) makes us more human, and more compassionate.
For a moment there, I realized how our struggles help us better see one another and walk alongside one another.
*I know, the parable doesn't quite match up. But it's simple, elegant.... a helpful reminder.
No comments:
Post a Comment