Yes, yes, I know. I hate schmaltz. You all may remember previous posts where I put up pictures of open heart surgery, joke about venereal disease (hence the "VD" title of this very post), and I generally wear black.
So, while I'm not wearing black (blue, green, and white today, actually), I still try to remember that Valentine's Day can be so very very lonely. And a horrible excuse for buying things. My gift today will be a beautiful evening with soup and games, perhaps with a few heart-shaped biscuits. Because that's how I roll.
And so, since today is overly hyped as a day of buying and receiving, I'd like to remind you that it's the small things that show you love the ones you are with--the making of small things, the small attentions, the very best way life together in community works. Don't go buy tons of flowers, or jewelry, or chocolate (though I'm thrilled to get chocolate any other day) because that's what you are told to do. Make things, be thoughtful. For your co-workers, your family, your friends.
Today, by the way, is St. Valentine's Day. Saint Valentine, I will remind you, is the patron saint of bee keepers.
So on a day like today, I think of all those I love and who love me; if I could, I'd give my favorite bee keeper a hug.
No comments:
Post a Comment