While they were nice and fairly wholesome, I realized that "whole wheat" and "biscuit" might not want to hang out together too much--my friend from Alabama held it up and attempted a diplomatic, "errrr, what's this?"
But the most recent adventure in baking is perhaps the greatest success--a no-knead, artisan bread recipe my friend Pam (who regularly cooks amazing things, like the soup [ the most recent entry on her blog], and takes pictures of said food--what she calls food p... you get the picture) passed on. One that you mix one night, put in the fridge, and bake up in the course of a week as you need it.
Can I just say that this is perhaps the best home-made bread I've ever had? It tastes like European bread, like someone woke up at 4 to start the bread so it would be ready at 8 at your corner baker's. It would be a shame if I told those who enjoyed it that it has only four ingredients (five if you count the bread flour as a different ingredient than the whole wheat).
We'll be enjoying the half-loaves as sandwiches on our hike this weekend. My sister is coming to town(wohooo!) to interview for post-docs, and she's been hankering for a good hike. A few friends will be joining us, which makes me happy. And the sandwiches, with peppered turkey, provolone cheese, avocado and tomato with mayo and mustard, will hopefully give us the energy we'll need to enjoy the beauty of Fall Creek Falls.
No comments:
Post a Comment